The Whitwar
The Whitwar Magazine, 1903-(08)
The Whitwar was an extremely small circulation subscription-based magazine that was first published in 1903 by twelve-year-old Miss Gladys Evelyn Warren and her friends. Sold for one shilling a copy, the magazine was created to raise money for the Little Folks Ward at the North Eastern Children’s Hospital in Bethnal Green, with the hope that the funds raised “will help to keep some poor little children warm.”
It is not known how long the Whitwar magazine remained in circulation. Searches online and in archives have uncovered very few results. An article in The Gentlewoman in 1908 records Gladys having been awarded a certificate for her work on the magazine; this article reveals that by 1908 it was now a bi-annual publication and had featured contributions by L. T. Meade, Frank Stevens and the Rev. Canon E. R. Holmes.
‘The Whitwar’ is the title of a magazine produced by the combined energy of a youthful Editress and her staff, in aid of the ‘Little Folks-Ward” in the North Eastern Hospital for Children, Bethnal Green, London. This is a quarterly periodical, type-written, and the current part contains an enterprising melange of prose and verse, tales, and miscellaneous contributions, with competitions, and other lively features. The title and index pages are in red, the general body of the contents being in black, and illustrations by “artists young and old” give variety to the pages.
The Editress is Miss Gladys Evelyn Warren, 17 Welbeck Mansions, Inglewood Road, West Hampstead – daughter of Mr Algernon Warren, formerly of Bristol – under whose control the March number is quite an ambitious effort, covering 44 pages, and “little folks” who are readers will no doubt find a pleasure in assisting this method of benefiting a Children’s Hospital.
Whitwar Editorial Staff
The 1903/04 Whitwar Team comprised:
- Miss Gladys Evelyn Warren
- Miss Gwendolen Whitcombe
- Miss Margaret Whitcombe
- Miss Mabel Christopherson
- Miss Doris Gwilt Jolley
The “Whitwar” is somewhat of a novelty; it is a typewritten magazine of about forty pages, published three times a year, and is the work of a number of young ladies, whose object is a very laudable one, and one worthy of success, viz, to benefit the “Little Folks' Ward” in the North Eastern Hospital for Children, Bethnal Green, London.
The magazine, which is in covers to imitate crocodile leather, is edited by Miss Gladys Evelyn Warren, daughter of Algernon Warren, formerly of Clifton, and this young lady is assisted by a staff of writers and artists, including Miss Gwendolen Whitcombe, Miss Margaret Whitcombe and Miss Dorris Gwilt Jolley, whilst several of the editresses are contributors to the magazine, which is published at one shilling.
The frontis-piece to the number before us is a tastefully executed water colour drawing of a blue iris, by Miss Dorris Gwilt Jolley, whilst some of the pages are illustrated with pictures cut from other magazines and carefully pasted in.
The contents of this novel magazine, which was first published last year, are short stories, serial and complete, poetry, translations, matter concerning puzzles and competitions and a fairy play by Miss Gladys Warren, entitled “The Fairy's Task”.
There is considerable literary merit in some of the matter, whilst the whole of it is interesting, and the magazine should find a ready sale. The editress appeals for a larger circulation of the magazine so that “The Little Folks Ward” might benefit to a large extent, and Miss Warren also calls special attention to the “subscriber contest” and to the garment competitions, particulars of which are given in the present number.
North Eastern General Hospital, London
The North-Eastern Hospital for Children in Bethnal Green, East London, was one of the earliest specialist hospitals for children in the capital. Its origins lay in Victorian philanthropic efforts to improve the health of children living in overcrowded and unsanitary conditions in the East End. The institution began in 1867, when two Quaker sisters, Mary Elizabeth Philips and Ellen Philips, founded the Dispensary for Women and Children in a house on Virginia Road, Bethnal Green. The sisters were motivated partly by the social impact of earlier cholera epidemics and by the recognition that many poor families had little access to medical care. Very soon after opening, the founders decided to focus exclusively on the treatment of children, reflecting the emerging nineteenth-century movement for specialised paediatric medicine.
Shortly after its founding, the institution relocated to 125 Hackney Road and was renamed the North-Eastern Hospital for Children. At this stage it was a small charitable hospital with only twelve cots, providing free treatment to sick children of the surrounding working-class districts. In 1870 the hospital acquired the freehold of premises on the corner of Hackney Road and Goldsmiths Row, where it gradually expanded. Additional wards were built in the late nineteenth century, reflecting both growing demand and the increasing importance of specialist hospitals for children. By the turn of the century the hospital had become an established medical institution in the East End, and in 1902 a substantial new building on Hackney Road was opened by Princess Beatrice, symbolising royal patronage and the hospital’s expanding reputation.
During this period the hospital also developed an extensive charitable culture that involved the wider public, including children themselves. Various fundraising schemes supported the hospital’s wards and beds. One notable example was the fundraising campaign organised through the children’s magazine Little Folks.
Young readers raised funds through bazaars and donations, eventually supporting a dedicated “Little Folks Ward” and helping finance a convalescent home at Bexhill-on-Sea, opened in 1911 to allow recovering patients to benefit from sea air and a healthier environment. Other initiatives included donations from children’s clubs such as the Daffodil Club, demonstrating how Victorian and Edwardian philanthropy often mobilised communities—especially young people—to support medical charities.
The hospital continued to evolve during the early twentieth century. In 1907 it was renamed the Queen’s Hospital for Children, reflecting royal patronage and its growing prominence as a specialist paediatric institution. Over time it developed significant medical expertise, including laboratories for the study of childhood diseases and training opportunities for doctors and nurses. Among those associated with the hospital was Kate Evelyn Luard, a nurse who later served with distinction during the Boer War and the First World War and wrote influential accounts of wartime nursing. The hospital became an important centre for paediatric treatment and research in East London, caring for large numbers of children from some of the poorest neighbourhoods in the city.
A major institutional transformation occurred during the Second World War. In 1942, the Queen’s Hospital for Children merged with the Princess Elizabeth of York Hospital for Children in Shadwell. The combined organisation was renamed the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children and operated across several sites: Hackney Road, Shadwell, and later Banstead in Surrey. The rural Banstead branch served as a “country hospital” where children from inner-city London could recover in a healthier environment. After the creation of the National Health Service in 1948, the hospital became part of the new national system and was administered by the Queen Elizabeth Group Hospital Management Committee. Over subsequent decades the organisation was reorganised several times and at one stage became linked with the Hospital for Sick Children at Great Ormond Street.
The hospital’s gradual decline reflected wider changes in healthcare planning and the shifting population of East London. The Shadwell branch closed in 1963, while other outlying facilities were eventually phased out. By the late twentieth century paediatric services were increasingly centralised in larger teaching hospitals. In 1996 the remaining services of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children were transferred to the Royal London Hospital, effectively ending over a century of continuous operation at the Hackney Road site. The buildings stood derelict for many years before redevelopment began in 2014, when much of the structure was demolished to make way for housing, though part of the historic façade was preserved. During demolition a time capsule from the 1902 opening ceremony—containing newspapers and commemorative items—was discovered, a symbolic reminder of the hospital’s Victorian origins.
Click here for an image of the hospital in 2010 prior to its renovation.Credit: Dr Neil Clifton /Bethnal Green:Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children / CC BY-SA 2.0.
Related Newspaper Articles
Other links
Cots on the Little Folks Ward
In Victorian and early-twentieth-century hospitals like the North-Eastern Hospital for Children, it was common for individual beds (“cots” for children) to be financially sponsored by donors. The donor’s name—or the name of a club, society, or publication—would be associated with that specific cot, often literally displayed on a plaque above it. This system was part of the charitable funding model that hospitals relied on before the creation of the NHS in 1948.
Hospitals depended almost entirely on voluntary donations rather than government funding. Wealthy individuals, charitable societies, churches, businesses, and even children’s clubs would subscribe money each year to maintain a hospital bed. The cost varied depending on the hospital, but donors typically contributed enough annually to cover the estimated cost of treating patients in that cot (food, nursing care, and medical supplies).
There were numerous sponsors of cots in the Little Folks ward, some of these are noted below:
The Little Folks Home, at Bexhill
The Little Folks Home at Little Common, Bexhill was established in 1911 using charitable funds to provide a seaside convalescent home for poor children treated at the Queen's (North Eastern) hospital. It offered 30 beds where children from the city’s slums could regain their health in the fresh coastal air.